Sunday, October 17, 2010

Pop Music

So I have a new ride. Cuz I crashed my old one...
I basically like it, but its glaring problem is that the only tunes I have access to are "the radio". I think I became rather spoiled with my USB stereo in my last car. Who needs an IPod when you can just listen of a flash drive?
But anyway... I've been listening to the radio. So right now, I think I'm more familiar with pop music than I've ever been. I wanted to comment on some.


First thing I wanted to mention was Nelly. I'm not saying "Only Just a Dream" is a good song. It's alright, but nothing special. But I am really impressed with Nelly. He is an R&B singer now. Which he is, frankly, better at than rapping. I can admit that, but it was much harder for him too. That's a big deal. I am shocked that he was able to overcome his machismo enough to do that. I think it's a Ludacris lyric that says "these rap cats is soft, like R&B singers". It takes a real man to choose that when he doesn't have to. I'm proud of him.


Next thing: Rihanna is extremely talented. She has an amazing voice and made some really great songs. She has not made even a tolerable one since Chris Brown beat her up. I'm not saying it's related...


Third thing. "Like a G6" reminds me of the rave scene when I was part of it. Back in 2002 we danced to rappers that knew how to make beats, not European dudes with laptops. I love this song. This was my favorite song on the radio for about the first week and a half.


Sadly, it has been replaced.


The last thing I wanted to say is that I thought for sure we all would have forgotten Katy Perry a year after "I Kissed a Girl" came out. I was terribly wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment