Sunday, December 20, 2009

Best Albums of 2009

Okay fine. I have a blog, and even if no one actually reads it I feel obligated to post my "Best of 2009" Lists. I still need to compile movies (because I sure as fuck don't remember everything that came out in the last 12 months) so I'll start with THE TOP TEN ALBUMS OF 2009. You should know, I in no way represent this as an impartial list of the best albums musically. It is nothing more than the ones I like the most.

10. The Field - Yesterday and Today
Great background music. It will not wow you but you will always enjoy it. Genre is listed as minimalist techno. Couldn't have said it better myself.

9. Super Mash Bros - All About the Scrillions
Best maker of mashups out there. It's like he lived my life, and mixed the soundtrack.

8. Lily Allen - It's Not Me, It's You
Sometimes I just want to listen to pop. Lily is there for me.

7. Shwayze - Let It Beat
More hip-hop should be like this. It's like (actually, I'm pretty sure this is true) a talented rapper got born into a suburban family and grew up skateboarding and listening to rock music. And then he got drunk at a rock concert and jumped onstage and started freestyling along with the band and they were so impressed they merged (definitely true).

6. Royksopp - Junior
Best concert I saw this year, and that is saying something. You don't expect a band that's this good in the studio to be that much better live, but they were transcendent. I don't think I've ever used that word to describe a concert before.

5. Weezer - Raditude
I'm glad that "The Red Album" taught me that Weezer's lyrics are now mostly tongue in cheek. It took me awhile to figure that out and it cut into my enjoyment of that album. Since I was expecting it this time, I loved it immediately.

4. Mos Def - The Ecstatic
Best album he's put out since "Black on Both Sides." Features an impressive cast of producers and a reunion with Talib Kweli. Contains the lyrics one expects from the most insightful artist in rap.

3. Miike Snow - Miike Snow
Certainly the funkiest album of the year, and one of the most fun. I expect biig thiings iin the future from Miike. Shit that was cheesy. Don't hold it against him. Coachella?!

2. Beast - Beast
Unlike anything I've ever heard, Beast is dark and moody but manages to make you sing along. Vocalist BĂ©atrice Bonifassi calls it "trip rock." Produced by Lauryn Hill, this is the one album I'm absolutely shocked to not see on more people's lists.

1. Metric - Fantasies
Every track is great. Ever notice that saying "track" instead of "song" makes you sound hipper? Compare "I love this song" to "man, I really dig this track..." Anyway, I'm totally comfortable going off on a tangent here because this album is perfect. I don't feel the need to justify this as my top choice. "Gimme Sympathy" is the best song I heard this year. "Fantasies" is the best album.



My own comments about my list:
Pretty sure I'm the only person on the entire internet to not put Animal Collective's "Merriweather Post Pavillion" on their top ten list. It's a very good album. I liked those ten more. *shrug*

No comments:

Post a Comment